[ZODB-Dev] Fwd: [Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal (Martijn Faassen)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton)
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:37:25 -0500

  AMK> It may pose a problem for you as the authors, though.  The
  AMK> Distutils aren't set up for installing subpackages inside a
  AMK> package, and instead always install a new top-level package.
  AMK> That means that if I install zope.zodb, and six months later
  AMK> install zope.tal, the second installation will overwrite
  AMK> zope/__init__.py.

  AMK> If you do this, you should be careful that zope/__init__.py is
  AMK> just an empty placeholder file, containing no actual code, so
  AMK> it doesn't matter what version of the file is present.

But distutils will install a subpackage into an existing zope
directory?  It will create a zope directory if it doesn't exist, but
won't complain if one already exists.  I guess that's a feature :-).

  >> from zope.persistence.dict import Dict from
  >> zope.persistence.btrees.oobtree import OOBTree from
  >> zope.persistence.code import Module

  AMK> <shrug> Annoyingly long, true, but I can't think of anything
  AMK> better.  We generally use a new_persistent_map() convenience
  AMK> function of our own, anyway.

The most annoying part is "persistence" but I'm not sure how to
shorten that.

Jeremy