[ZODB-Dev] ZEO release?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 15:09:04 -0500

I'll take the second part first.

  AS> What is holding up the 1.0 release of ZEO?

My own feebleness.  The 1.0b5 release is solid and needs merely to be
re-branded ZEO 1.0 final.  It's been in production use in several
sites for months.  I intended to do that in late November, but got
caught up in other projects.

I'll get to it ASAP.

  AS> I'm curious as to how out of sync the latest released ZEO
  AS> (1.0b5) is as opposed to the cvs development.

I'm glad you asked, as we just made some decisions about this
yesterday.

We're currently working on some extensions to ZEO to support the
Standby storage product.  We need to add some new features to ZEO, but
to achieve these features we're making major revisions to the
implementation and the wire protocol.  The new features are (1)
automatic failover from one ZSS to another and (2) explicit support
for read-only clients and servers.

I should also make clear that while Standby will not be open source
software, ZEO is and all the improvements we make to ZEO and ZODB for
Standby will be open source.

The development work is going on in the ZEO-ZRPC-Dev branch.  I expect
that we'll merge this branch to the trunk and make a ZEO 2.0 alpha 1
release in the next several (4-6?) weeks.

Once 2.0 release begin, I don't expect to do any new development on
the ZEO 1.0 code.  Maintenance releases would also be a low priority
for me, but may be necessary if we discover any major problems.

Jeremy