[ZODB-Dev] need Windows binary for StandaloneZODB 1.0 rc1

Kevin Altis altis@semi-retired.com
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:37:41 -0800

The README makes no mention of requiring a C compiler or linker, but when I
tried to do a build I got the following error, so I was unable to do an
install.

running build_ext
building 'ExtensionClass' extension
creating build\temp.win32-2.1
creating build\temp.win32-2.1\Release
cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /MD /W3 /GX -IC:\Python21\Include
/TcExtensionClass/src/Ex
tensionClass.c /Fobuild\temp.win32-2.1\Release\ExtensionClass.obj
error: command 'cl.exe' failed: No such file or directory

On a related note, in order to be more Windows and Mac OS friendly it is
helpful if files have extensions such as .txt on files like the README so
that a reasonable guess can be made by the OS what program to use to open a
file when double-clicking the file or using an open/edit command. The Python
distribution uses extensions, so other Python packages such do the same
unless they are Unix-only. There are many README, NEWS, NOTES, TODO, etc.
files in the distribution that should have extensions.

ka
---
Kevin Altis
altis@semi-retired.com