[ZODB-Dev] need Windows binary for StandaloneZODB 1.0 rc1

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:23:39 -0500

PythonLabs uses MSVC 6 for all Windows compilation/linking, including of
Python itself.  MSVC 5 *may* be usable, but not unless you have the last
service pack for it (I believe that was SP3), which repaired binary
incompatibilities between MSVC 5 and the new compact .LIB format introduced
in MSVC 6.  Without that patch, MSVC 5 rejects the distributed python21.lib
(which was built using MSVC 6), and that in turn kills any hope of linking
extension modules.

Short course:  use MSVC 6 for Windows builds.

I'm not volunteering to produce a Windows installer for StandaloneZODB
unless Guido tells me I volunteer, and our free use of Wise 8.14 was
specifically granted for building Python installers.  I'd much rather see
the community do this part of the work, based on an InnoSetup (or other
free) Windows installer -- or even a plain .zip file (the install doesn't
really need to do anything except unpack files, right?  no registry entries,
no file associations, no Start menu shortcuts, no Windows services
installed, ...).

Don't know anything about building for Macs (you could try asking Jack
Jansen or Steven Majewski about that).