[ZODB-Dev] Announcing ZCF 0.5 - The ZODB CORBA integration framework

John D. Heintz jheintz@isogen.com
02 Jul 2002 14:14:03 -0500

See comments below...

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 08:21, Christian Reis wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 03:45:45PM -0500, John D. Heintz wrote:
> > Christian,
> >
> > There shouldn't be any problems with those versions. I've just re-ran
> > our application tests on Debian with omniORB 3.0.4 and omniORBpy ???.
> > Hmm, Debian doesn't list the version of omniORBpy separately. That's
> > weird.
>
> I was using omniORB3.0.4 and omniORBpy1.5, which don't match. 3.0.5 and
> 1.5 work fine. However, now I'm getting this:

Oops, I've done that.

> Client:
>
>     >>> runSomeTests ()
>     Create a StorageObject named 'foo'
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>     File "client.py", line 53, in runSomeTests
>     session.nameStorageObject('foo', foo)
>     File "sample_idl.py", line 149, in nameStorageObject
>     return _omnipy.invoke(self, "nameStorageObject",
>     _0_sample.Session._d_nameStorageObject, args)
>     omniORB.CORBA.UNKNOWN: Minor: 0, Completed:
>     COMPLETED_MAYBE.

Doh. COMPLETED_MAYBE is never good...

> Server:
>
>     blackjesus% python startServer.py
>     Using FileStorage
>     Started SampleServer <sample._objref_Server instance at 0x835d2b4>
>     IDL:omg.org/PortableServer/ServantLocator:1.0
>     IDL:omg.org/PortableServer/ServantActivator:1.0
>     IDL:omg.org/PortableServer/ServantLocator:1.0
>     IDL:omg.org/PortableServer/AdapterActivator:1.0
>     omniORB: Caught an unexpected Python exception during up-call.
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "./Server.py", line 83, in nameStorageObject
>     sObj = self._servantHelper.lookupDomainObj(sObj)
>     AttributeError: SampleSession instance has no attribute
>     '_servantHelper'

Hmm. It's been a while since I've been into the details, but that
doesn't sound right ;)

> I've tried working a bit with the inheritance, but couldn't make it
> work. I'm pulling ZCF-0.5 in the meantime to see how it goes.

That one should work, but has even less documentation and sample code.

> > Duncan Grisby is _very_ helpful and if I can't understand what is going
> > wrong he most certainly we be the person to ask.
>
> Yep, he's great.
>
> > When omniORB4 gets Python interceptor support I plan on revisiting the
> > ZCF and using CORBA Context for authentication so that the server
> > objects can be stateless.  When I do get back into this code I'll try to
> > really clean it all up better as well.
>
> Okay. What I'm missing are some basic examples of manipulating ZODB
> objects over the connection, or I'm plain out of context here :-)
>
> Is there some extra documentation?

There isn't much more documentation I'm afraid.

This Thursday I'll dig back into the ZCF 0.6 release. If your available
either Thursday or Friday I can work directly with you to figure out
where those errors are coming from.

Maybe we'll actually produce some docs to answer your questions as well.