[ZODB-Dev] StandaloneZODB future plans

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:23:37 -0400

Barry, Jim, and I are planning a new ZODB release that will correspond
roughly to what's going into Zope 2.6.  The plan, in general, is to
collect the various improvements of late and put out a new release.
The biggest change will by Toby's new cache, which is much more
effective at managing objects.

We plan to change the name and version number for this release.  We're
going to call it ZODB 3.0.  We like this name better because the
"Standalone" part isn't really important.  We like the version number
better because it really is the 3.0 version of the persistence /
object database code.

I expect we'll include ZEO 2.0 in the final release of ZODB 3.0.  I
plan to commit ZEO 2 to the trunk next week.

I imagine that users will be able to install ZODB 3.0 on top of an
existing Zope version and upgrade just the ZODB core.  I think this
will be useful for people who want some core improvements without
worrying about a full upgrade.

Jeremy