[ZODB-Dev] Very slow restarts with ZEO 2 ...

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:59:40 +0100

Hi!

I've switched a two-server ZEO installation to ZEO 2 and now I have the
following "problem":

While the ZEO clients had started up and restarted almost immediately (5-10
secs maximum for a start without having to rebuild the cache files), ZEO 2
clients take up to half a minute.

This is not a problem for the production servers, as they usually won't
restart frequently. But for development this is not so nice. My first guess
was that ZEO 2 does some consistency checks on the cache files or so, as it
spends a considerable amount of time after connecting to the ZEO server,
which still happens almost instantly.

Could I get some hints on this? Can startup time be optimized by switching
off some "paranoid" option or so? And what exactly might cause these startup
times?

The database that is served is around 1-2 GB and the cache files are rather
large, too (200 MB and more).

Cheers

Joachim

Joachim Werner