[ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:17:33 -0500

> On 26 November 2002, Guido van Rossum said:
> > Is there anyone who would regret losing versions in ZODB4?
>
> I say kill 'em.  My major gripe with ZODB is that there are a lot of
> complex features that are driven by Zope's peculiar requirements, which
> arise from Zope's peculiar world-view, and are not (IMHO) appropriate in
> a general-purpose database.  Of course there are sound historical
> reasons for this, but I don't care about that.  I just want a good
> general-purpose object database for Python.

That's funny.  I am pleading to remove them, because (even though Zope
*supports* them) we recommend against using them in Zope; no Zope
sites that I know of use them.  Jeremy wants to keep them, because he
thinks they are a useful feature in theory, and he was expecting
(hoping?) that some non-Zope user of ZODB would come up with a use
case.  But it seems the strongest "drop'em" sounds come from the
MEMS-Exchange group, who are ZODB users but not Zope users. :-)

My conclusion: versions are a big YAGNI.  Let's rip'em out.