[ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:00:03 -0500

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:17:33AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>case.  But it seems the strongest "drop'em" sounds come from the
>MEMS-Exchange group, who are ZODB users but not Zope users. :-)

To be fair, this might be an artifact of our application design.  When
a user is editing an object over multiple HTTP operations, we usually
make a copy of the object, store it in their session, and let them
edit that.  In other cases no changes are made until a final
confirmation step.  We need to go out of our way to code like this.

On the other hand, if we were using long-running transactions instead,
we'd still have to detect and discard uncommitted transactions after a
while because the browser crashed, the user got bored and went away
forever, or something like that, and that would also require special
code.

Given that no one has yet said they actually *use* versions, though,
discarding them is a good idea.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
Dream? Give me your hand.
      -- Death, in SANDMAN #69: "The Kindly Ones:13"