[ZODB-Dev] zeo 2 installation blues

Mark McEahern mark@mceahern.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 18:03:26 -0500

Hi, I've spent the last several days trying everything I can think of to
configure Zope to run with ZEO 2.  I've gotten helpful responses on this
list, but I just don't seem to be able to get it to work.

I'm not a Zope expert--of course, I've learned a lot in the process.  It
could very well be the way I'm installing Zope, Python, and/or ZEO.
However, I've tried a variety of approaches.  I'd be happy to enumerate in
excruciating detail everything I've tried, but I didn't want to weigh this
message down with all that cruft.

If whoever is maintaining/developing ZEO 2 suspects that I may not be alone
in being unable to get this to work and would like to help me get it going,
I'm available.  I'd be happy to contribute to documentation (I've found
minor things like spelling errors, but those I assume are caught at some
point by somebody taking the trouble to run a spell checker).  I plan to
write a HOWTO anyway once I get this working.

Well, there you have it.

These details are probably relevant:  I'm using Red Hat 7.3.  I've tried
installing Python 2.1.3 and Zope 2.5.1 from RPMs generated from SRPMs.  I've
also tried installing from source tarballs.  I've also tried the full binary
distribution for Linux 2.  I'm trying to get ZEO and the Zope client running
on the same box.  I've tried explicitly specifying the ethernet address and
port 8800 both in starting ZEO and in the custom_zodb.py.  I've tried using
Unix domain sockets.  The farthest I've gotten is Zope and ZEO running, but
as soon as I try to access the ZMI in the browser, I get a timeout.

I can run the ZEO 2 unit tests when I install from RPM--but not when I
install from the source tarball.  It hangs on checkCommitLock2OnCommit.

Cheers,

// mark

-