[ZODB-Dev] zeo 2 installation blues

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 20:30:52 -0400

> These details are probably relevant: I'm using Red Hat 7.3.  I've
> tried installing Python 2.1.3 and Zope 2.5.1 from RPMs generated
> from SRPMs.  I've also tried installing from source tarballs.  I've
> also tried the full binary distribution for Linux 2.  I'm trying to
> get ZEO and the Zope client running on the same box.  I've tried
> explicitly specifying the ethernet address and port 8800 both in
> starting ZEO and in the custom_zodb.py.  I've tried using Unix
> domain sockets.  The farthest I've gotten is Zope and ZEO running,
> but as soon as I try to access the ZMI in the browser, I get a
> timeout.

I'm amazed at how hard this is!  I commend you for not giving up.  One
suggestion: try something simpler first.  E.g. try running Zope
without ZEO first, and make sure that you've got a good grip on things
like file locations and logging.  After that you could see if you have
more luck with ZEO 1.

One problem is that none of us here have any problems with getting ZEO
to run -- but we've probably all gotten the necessary quirks in our
environment long ago and don't remember what they are.

It's possible that there's one essential roadblock that one can only
find out about when sitting next to you.  E.g. it *could* be that
somehow your system's firewall doesn't allow connecting to local
ports.  Or whatever.  Or your understanding of clients and servers is
backwards.  Who knows. :-)