[ZODB-Dev] ZODB technique

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 15:17:03 +0200

At 12:21 2002-09-09 +0200, Laszlo Asboth wrote:
>Dear experts,
I answer anyway! ;)

>I am working on planning a database structure in ZODB, and I would like to=
=20
>know which is the best way to do it.
>Is there any plan/technique/suggestion for ZODB, which results good (fast,=
=20
>stable, and effective) database structure?

Well, you don't really have to think so much about that.
As I wrote, ZODB provides transactions and persistence.
The persistence mechanism isn't based on any external
tables or anything like that. It's probably better to
think of it as battery backup to your RAM. So, your Python
based object structure is your database schema.

There are some requirements. Your persistent objects need
to be "reachable" directly or indirectly from a "root
object" to persist, your persistent classes need to
subclass a special Persistence base class etc.

There are some extras such as BTrees to provide better
storage for large amounts of data.

More info here:
http://www.python.org/workshops/2000-01/proceedings/papers/fulton/zodb3.html
http://www.zope.org//Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage
Up to date documentation is lacking I fear.

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB
=C4lvans v=E4g 99, SE-907 50 UME=C5
tel: 070-582 80 65, fax: 070-612 80 65