[ZODB-Dev] ExternalMount, FileStorage and Undo

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:41:19 -0400

Johan Carlsson [Torped] wrote:
>  > > I have a perception that ExternalMount is old and unsupported, why
> is that
>  > incorrect?
>  >
>  > That's probably a literally correct statement.  But it works, and I
> assume
>  > that's what you want.
>
> Jim F:
>  > We use it on zope.org. The main problem with it is that it doesn't work
>  > right for undo and versions, but you don't care about those.
>
> Hi,
> I found the statement above in the list archive.
> I'm currently looking into using mounted storages for an ISP-solution.
> Each client would have their own mounted storage as there virtual root.
>
> What is the problem with undo and mounted storages?

Zope undo currently looks only at the main database. For mounted storages,
you want it to look at the mounted database where you are, or at all databases,
which is much harder.

> Are there other known problems with ExternalMount (and mounted
> FileStorage)?

There is a similar issue with versions.

> Could there be a problem mounting many FileStorage in one base instance?

Not that I know of, but no one has tried it.

Jim