[ZODB-Dev] DBTab/Ape suggestions

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 17:07:40 -0400

Rocky Burt wrote:
 > All,
 >
 > Sorry if I keep lumping DBTab and Ape together... unfortunately the
 > only reason I've had to use DBTab is due to my Ape work.
 >
 > Here's a couple items I was thinking about (I might even look into it
 > myself).
 >
 > 1) I don't know anything about adding ZMI tabs to zope objects
 > throughout the whole site, but I thought it might be extremely useful
 > if the base mount object from DBTab had a tab in the ZMI showing
 > mount diagnostics/stats
 >
 > 2) When creating non existant folders within Ape just to satisify a
 > new mount, be able to declare what type of folderish object the new
 > folder(s) should be.

Well, FWIW, this is all DBTab, not Ape. :-)

The only way to add tabs to all objects in Zope 2 is through monkey
patching.  We have to avoid monkey patching since it makes the software
difficult to maintain, although it is a very nice feature of Python.

I'll think about #2.  I can imagine a
"container_factory=product:factory_method" configuration directive for
dbtab.conf; would that serve the purpose?  It might not be compatible
with all folderish types.

Shane