[ZODB-Dev] What version of ZODB to use?

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Sat Aug 23 21:06:56 EDT 2003

[Per Sigmond]
> I plan to use ZODB/ZEO in a distributed application that will be in
> production state Q1 2004. What version of ZODB should I develop on in
> order to get the best tradeoff between features, stability and future
> compatibility?

The best tradeoff for you depends on how you quantify aspects of features
versus stability etc.  Can't guess that.

However you weight those, the answer is probably "a release that doesn't
exist yet", so when do you plan to start development?

The best release if you're starting today is ZODB3 3.1.3 (released without
fanfare last week).  I expect, but don't know, that ZODB3 3.1.4 will be
released within the next few weeks, to address some critical ZODB3 3.1.3
performance problems uncovered in a large-scale installation.

After that, development on the 3.1 line should cease.

It's unclear (to me) at this point whether development will then shift to
finishing the ZODB3 3.2 release, or go back to finishing the (still very
experimental) so-called ZODB3 3.3 release (which is trying to backport some
key improvements from ZODB4, into the ZODB3 3.2 line).  The future of ZODB4
seems even muddier.

Best guess is that 3.2 will get the nod, so if you're not going to start for
a month or so, I'd recommend starting with ZODB3 3.2 (which doesn't exist
yet-- it's still in beta --but "should exist sooner than later").