[ZODB-Dev] Importing large .zexp fails with ZEO

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Aug 27 20:08:10 EDT 2003

Eek. We've experienced some data lossage. Several recently edited
items have gone missing; all were modified between 8/12 and 8/19,
and were noticed missing (for new items) or outdated (for modified
items) just yesterday, 8/26.

The earliest Data.fs backup I have is from 8/20 and the last of
these items was modified on 8/19. It's all gone in the 8/20 backup.
Therefore, assuming the lossage all happened at once (???),
it must have occurred sometime on 8/19 or 8/20.

I've been crawling through the access & event logs and the ONLY
error I can find during this time is the out-of-space problem
that started this thread.

So, my questions...

1) Would "No space left on device" on the zeo client cause a transaction
on the zeo server to fail? I would assume yes, it seems obvious...
but probably not relevant...

2) Could the same condition in any way damage the database such
that some already-committed transactions could get corrupted?
AFAIK, none of the missing / outdated objects were being modified
at the time of the error. seems unlikely, but I can't figure
out what else could have happened. As I said, this is the only error
that was logged during that time.

BTW, I've also gone over the access log with a fine-tooth comb looking
for any user actions that could have caused the lossage. I found
nothing.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com