[ZODB-Dev] Importing large .zexp fails with ZEO

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Aug 28 22:48:24 EDT 2003

Paul Winkler wrote at 2003-8-27 19:08 -0400:
 > Eek. We've experienced some data lossage. Several recently edited
 > items have gone missing; all were modified between 8/12 and 8/19,
 > and were noticed missing (for new items) or outdated (for modified
 > items) just yesterday, 8/26.

I have tools that allow to analyse the change history
of any ZODB object (until the time of packing, of course).
There work similar to the history you know from DTML objects.

Be warned, they are not user friendly. I need them only
very very rarely (to be precise: twice, once to find out that
a colleague has deleted an object (and did not tell us)
and once to find a ZODB packing bug).

I may send them to you...

 > 1) Would "No space left on device" on the zeo client cause a transaction
 > on the zeo server to fail? I would assume yes, it seems obvious...
 > but probably not relevant...

It should not.

If it would, it were a bug.

 > 2) Could the same condition in any way damage the database such
 > that some already-committed transactions could get corrupted?

This is very unlikely as in normal operation (not packing),
Zope always appends to the file.

 > AFAIK, none of the missing / outdated objects were being modified
 > at the time of the error. seems unlikely, but I can't figure
 > out what else could have happened. As I said, this is the only error
 > that was logged during that time.
 >
 > BTW, I've also gone over the access log with a fine-tooth comb looking
 > for any user actions that could have caused the lossage. I found
 > nothing.
 >
 > --
 >
 > Paul Winkler
 > http://www.slinkp.com
 > Look! Up in the sky! It's SUPER DERVISH SNOWBALL!
 > (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)

Dieter