[ZODB-Dev] [Problem] "_v_" variables too volatile

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Wed Dec 10 09:46:37 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:32:19 +0100
Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
[snip]
> Unless I do not here strong objections, I will extend
> the ZODB such that:
>
>   *  setting a "_v_" attribute of a "Persistent" object
>      sets a "_p_volatile" attribute.
>
>   *  "incrGC" gets an argument "flushVolatile", defaulting to "1".
>      If not set, objects with "_p_volatile" are not flushed
>
>   *  in "subtransaction commit/abort" "incrGC" is called
>      with "flushVolatile=0".

An application may also wish to set this flag itself if it knows that it will need this object again in subsequent transactions. The GC could defer purging objects with this flag set until after objects without it set are purged first.

As for the name, I agree that _p_volatile is not the best. How about:

_p_enduring
_p_held
_p_lingering
_p_kept