[ZODB-Dev] Re: Ape + ZEO

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Sun Dec 14 19:50:06 EST 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> The amazing thing is how often we *don't* need Ape.  Over the past year
> there has been a lot of talk at Zope Corporation about using Ape for a
> major project, but as customers get more comfortable with FileStorage and
> ZEO, they tend to realize they don't need to store in relational databases
> after all.  ZODB seems to provide all the mechanisms required.
>
> Perhaps this actually validates Ape, though.

Oops, I didn't finish that thought.  The intent of Ape has never been to
compete with ZODB, but instead to enhance it.  That means good application
code can reach more audiences and people who are unsure about object
databases don't have to be swayed.  Developers don't have to spend extra
time targeting multiple frameworks.

Incidentally, after studying about Oracle, I've become convinced that
Oracle is actually an object database with relational mechanisms built on
top.  Oracle doesn't see object databases competing with relational
databases--Oracle believes the best way to build a relational database is
to build it from an object database.  To me, that really validates the
practice of building relational structures using ZODB objects.

Shane