[ZODB-Dev] Unofficial AdaptableStorage Wiki

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:27:57 -0500

Rocky Burt wrote:
> Personally, I'd like to see this project blast forward, and that makes
> me hope/wish that your memory decay theory doesn't place ;)

Don't worry. :-)  I think when the mind studies something very hard and
creates something from it, the form in which the mind first comprehends
the creation is not well adapted to expression.  A certain degree of
unfamiliarity is then required to understand the concepts in a way that
can be expressed.  This doesn't mean anything is really forgotten, just
"shelved away" for a while.

> If all goes well, I'll be using AdaptableStorage+Zope2.6 to power a site
> with millions of RDBMS records full of client data.  But, with my recent
> benchmarking, writing objects to AS/PostgreSQL is _much_ slower than to
> FileStorage at this point.

There is virtually no optimization right now.  There are a lot of things
we could do, although FileStorage is known to be *very* fast, and it's
unlikely that anything that uses SQL can gain quite the same
performance.  But we can do better than we're doing now.

Shane