[ZODB-Dev] DBTab questions...

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:13:14 -0500

Harald Ragger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just played around with DBTab (1.1), Zope 2.6.1 under win and linux:
>
> 1) mounted 2 databases (see: conf 1)
>
> db MAIN: filestorage
> db BDB: berkeley db (from ZODB 3.1.1b)
>
> a)
> all ok except: when i try to cut the "Examples" from the Main Storage to the
> BDB Folder (berkeley storage) ---> key error ( see error 1)
> same operation baut "copy" instead of "cut": everything is ok, all files and
> subfolders were copied.

Hmm, I guess I provided a workaround for this in AdaptableStorage, but
not in DBTab.  Maybe the workaround needs to go in DBTab.

The workaround makes Zope detect when it's about to store a
cross-database reference and copy the object rather than attempt to move
it.  It works, but it's quite ugly. ;-)

> b) ControlPanel--> Database Management:
> Main
> BDB  (as expected)
>
> klick on BDB: ok.
> klick on Main: error: (see error 2)
>

> 2) tried to use berkeley as Main storage: (see conf 2)
> seems to be ok, but:
>
> it seems still to use the Filestorage Database Data.fs from my default
> installation (even though NOT configured in dbtab.conf):
>
> just copied the Examples folder three times:
> Data.fs grows: Berkeley DB doesnt grow
> deleted Data.fs --> Restart Zope --> all my users were gone, as did all
> created content (copies of Examples folder)
>
> wrong configured dbtab?
> did i try things BDTab isn't thought for?

The second error may have happened because the old Zope instance was
still running.  Make sure Zope is not running at all, then start it with
the BDB storage mounted at the root.  Also make sure you have the
custom_zodb.py provided by DBTab next to your dbtab.conf.

Shane