[ZODB-Dev] ZODB performance

Nick Pavlica nick.pavlica@echostar.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:04:29 -0700

Hector,
  I'm a newbie in terms of most members of this group, but I have had to=20
research the ZOPE application server form some of my projects which is hi=
ghly=20
coupled to the ZODB.  From my understanding performance and scalability (=
not=20
including factors like OS and hardware) are subject to the type of storag=
e=20
that you are using.  There have been a number of recent announcements for=
=20
some new storage types that give you some alternatives from the file,=20
Berkley, Oracle, and other traditional storage types.  Each of the storag=
es=20
seem to have good and bad attributes that you will need to review for you=
r=20
project needs. =20

I have been able to convince my management to use open-source tools like=20
ZOPE/ZODB by demonstrating it for them, "Seeing is believing".  In past=20
attempts to justify a particular technology I provided management with=20
detailed and long technical reasons why we should use this or that=20
technology.  My current manager has a masters in CS and years of experien=
ce=20
but still needs to see something first hand.  Another benefit of presenti=
ng a=20
demo is that you can prove the technology for yourself, which will in tur=
n=20
make your project move faster. =20

I would also say that If you are concerned with Scalability and Performan=
ce=20
you should test the ZODB in a way that will satisfy your questions with=20
multiple storages etc.  In the end I think you will find a combination th=
at=20
will work for you and your managers. =20

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 4:01 am, Hector Sanchez SanMartin wrote:
>   Hello everybody,
>
>   We are considering using ZODB for one of the projects I'm in (need to
> convince my boss) and would like to know if you could point me or you
> have some information concerning the performance and scalability of ZOD=
B.

>   Thanks in advance

--=20
Nick Pavlica