[ZODB-Dev] I want Object Gadfly

Christian Reis kiko at async.com.br
Fri Jul 18 13:46:25 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:45:51AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> - There should be two separate concepts:
>
>   - Relations, which model externally imposed relationships
>     between objects.

Can I have an example use case of a relation which is not an
association?

>   With Object Gadfly, you can create relations between objects using
>   content-space tables or named site-wide utilities. Data can be added
>   to them explicitly, or automatically via event subscription. Tables can
>   be indexed and you can execute automatically optimized queries against
>   them using SQL.

IndexedCatalog uses the ZODB as its persistent storage, but organizes
objects by type in catalogs, and allows queries to be performed against
it. It uses a `proprietary' Python-like query language (using strings --
we didn't go the SQLObject syntax route, for instance) but the query
language hooks were made to be easily switched. It offers subclassing
(queries in `super'class catalogs return objects from all subclasses),
too.

If I had a better idea of what relations are [useful for], I could
suggest how suited it would be to your intended purpose.

Take care,