[ZODB-Dev] I want Object Gadfly

Jim Fulton jim at ZOPE.COM
Fri Jul 18 14:05:21 EDT 2003

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 10:45 AM 7/18/03 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Object Gadfly doesn't exist. :(
>

> Actually, what about Gadfly 2?  Apparently it existed enough to write a
> paper about a couple years ago...  IIRC, it was designed to handle
> arbitrary backends, manage join costs, and do all sorts of cool things.
> I imagine it's become part of Reportlab's proprietary toolset, though.

Yup. I attended Aarons talk at IPC9 about Gadfly 2 and have been wanting
to get my hands on it ever since.  I don't think Gadfly 2 was ever completed.
I was told recently, however, that even Gadfly 1 is somewhat pluggable.

Originally, I wanted Gadfly 2 to give me an SQL front end, but the various
discussions over the last few months about modeling relationships made
me realize how great it would be to combine Gadfly and ZODB.

Jim

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org