[ZODB-Dev] Re: I want Object Gadfly

Robert J Gautier rjg at ateb.co.uk
Sat Jul 19 00:27:45 EDT 2003

Yes, me too, I think.

I've just spent a good bit of the last couple of months
putting a relational layer on top of ZODB, taking inspiration from Gadfly.

I didn't want to go with the Gadfly code originally because I wasn't sure
how 'pure' a relational database I wanted.  I might want to add nested
tables, arbitrary objects in tables (or attributes/columns), and so on.

So at the moment I have 'Table' objects that can contain tuples of
'Attributes', and there's fairly complete metadata (and an extensible
attribute/column type system) so it's easy to produce nice data entry
forms (for a web browser).

Some nice cool Python integration too: for a record r, the columns are
accessible just like attributes (r.a, r.b), and if an attribute 'x' is a
foreign key to a table whose rows have an attribute 'a', you can just
'dot' right through it (r.x.a) -- no join!

Uncool things include no SQL yet (I didn't try because I thought it might
restrict some of the OO things I'd like to bring to my database).

Oh, and gruesome performance -- maybe I need to go back to the Gadfly code
after all.  The application goes in front of real users in September so
I am *going* to make it work fast!

I am looking forward to working with the new ZODB3 release -- I need to
be able to use properties etc. in order to do a really good job.

Bob Gautier
Ateb Ltd