Metadata in zope / binary data on FS, was Re: [ZODB-Dev] __del__ with Persistent objects

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Jul 19 14:48:39 EDT 2003

Paul Winkler wrote at 2003-7-18 13:06 -0400:
 > ... serving largs files ...
 > and the server crawls.

Do you know why?

  Recently, I had a short look at a symmetric problem.

  A colleague tried to upload an 80 MB file to Zope (from
  the server itself, no network affected).
  It took so long that he lost patience and reported a bug.

  When I analysed the problem I recognized that the file
  was uploaded but it took 11 minutes. During this time
  the processors IO wait was between 50 and 90 percent.
  The Zope worker process started to see the request only
  after about 9 minutes.

  Our system administrator thinks the (old and cheap) disk
  subsystem is to blame.

I expect that I will have the chance to come back to this
problem on a modern system in a few weeks.

I am really interested to learn why large files take so long (to up- or
download).

Dieter