Metadata in zope / binary data on FS, was Re: [ZODB-Dev] __del__ with Persistent objects

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Sun Jul 20 10:51:29 EDT 2003

On Friday 18 July 2003 18:47, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> I believe the problem is that one of Zope's threads get
> used for the large file for the entire time the client is downloading.
> That makes Zope slow for everything else.

Zope hasnt done that since version 2.... today the File object passes data to
ZServer as fast as it can, using RESPONSE.write, and ZServer spools the file
to a temp file. This frees up the thread and ZODB connection as soon as
possible. ZServer then trickles data from the temp file back to the client
using the medusa thread.

I guess the bottleneck comes from thrashing the temp file. If so, it would
help to have a new mechanism allowing ZPublisher to go direct to the ZODB
storage.

--
Toby Dickenson - http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson

Want a job like mine?  http://www.geminidataloggers.com/jobs for Software
Engineering jobs at Gemini Data Loggers in Chichester, West Sussex, England