[ZODB-Dev] Can ZEO serve Ape storage?

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Fri Jun 6 15:59:51 EDT 2003

Choo Zhi Min wrote:
> I managed to disable ZEO client cache by referring to your patch
> file, though I was not using ZEO from cvs. After this and some
> modification given in your email, ZEO + ApeFS worked.

Cool!  Architecting to support ZEO was very hard, but I think it will
pay off.

> I wonder what is the performance impact when ZEO client cache is
> turned off...

It depends on what you're serving, but I think the cache is quite important.

> Can Ape oidencoder.py be modified to use ZODB.utils for oid encode
> and decode, since ZEO cache oid uses 8-byte string. What is the oid
> format in Ape?

Right now, OIDs are marshals of tuples containing an integer or a path
string.  There is too much information to squeeze into 8 bytes.  My
guess is that it won't be difficult to change client caches to allow
OIDs of varying size, though I haven't looked.

Shane