[ZODB-Dev] Partitioning a container

Wed, 5 Mar 2003 00:20:28 +0000

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 11:25 pm, Adrian van den Dries wrote:
> On March  4, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > You could do this at the ZODB level using AS (you'd use a gateway that
> > synthesizes the contents of two sources), but the advantage isn't clear
> > to me.
>
> I'm not sure either, but if it were possible it might make ZODB even
> more attractive as a production database.

Doing it at ZODB level only makes sense if you disbelieve the following
statement:

>  "Partitioning strategy" is
> definitely the domain of the application

Think of it as an automatic HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management) problem. I
think it could be something that is transparent to the application.

This wouldnt cope with the homepage farm problem, but I think it is a better
approach for the news archive..... Consider what happens if an old archived
item suddenly becomes popular again.

--
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson