[ZODB-Dev] ZEO exception debuggability

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:42:03 +0100

This is with ZODB from Zope 2.6.0 and an old ZEO (the one called ZEO-2.0
from http://www.zope.org/Products/ZEO).

When trying to add a new role in the ZMI, I got this:

Request URL http://localhost:17085/foo/manage_defined_roles
    * Module Zope, line 188, in commit
    * Module ZODB.Transaction, line 222, in commit
    * Module ZODB.Transaction, line 207, in commit
    * Module ZODB.Connection, line 634, in tpc_vote
    * Module ZEO.ClientStorage, line 562, in tpc_vote
    * Module ZEO.ClientStorage, line 546, in _check_serials
NameError: global name 'sys' is not defined

Ok so I *guess* this was the missing 'import sys' in
ZODB.ConflictResolution that got added in later releases. Actually from
another ZEO client adding the role worked, so I guess it did have
something to do with conflicts.

But my point really is that if I had had a different exception re-raised
from _check_serials, I'd have had no way to guess where it came from,
because there is no traceback. How could this be improved?

Florent