[ZODB-Dev] FileStorage database unrecoverable?

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:00:23 -0500

Steve Alexander wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>

>> Yikes, it looks like the file is actually 2^31 bytes or larger, making
>> it so that even file.tell() fails.  In the short term, if you trim the
>> file to 2147483647 bytes (2^31 - 1), you'll probably be able to open
>> it or use fsrecover.
>

> Shane,
>
> Didn't you once write a patch to FileStorage that split the Data.fs into
> a number of portions, and thus allowed large FileStorages to be used on
> systems that don't support large files?
>
> I remember at the time I thought that was a great idea.
>
> One of the neat uses was to have the Data.fs partitioned into CD-sized
> chunks for backup.

Yes.  But most people I've talked to about it don't think it's worth the
effort, saying that large files are now supported everywhere that
matters, so I've been maintaining it privately.

Shane