[ZODB-Dev] Re: Ape and retrieval of other zodb items

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Thu May 1 16:06:57 EDT 2003

Rocky Burt wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 14:48, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>To enable Ape to potentially work with ZEO, gateways do not have access
>>to the live object system for introspection.  Any information you need
>>from the ZClass needs to be exposed to the gateway through the state
>>created by the serializer.  This might mean you need a special serializer.
>

> Well, an alternative to this for me would be that if I could get the
> attribute name (id) being requested from the event object on the
> load(event) call.  But it seems to me that its impossible to get that
> info as well (or is it?)

What attribute name?  If you're talking about the name of the attribute
that a Zope application requests, that information isn't even revealed
to Python.

> ps.  I don't need access to the object, I just need access to the class
> that the object is derived from ;)

Right, but ZClasses only exist in the live object system, and gateways
can't see the live object system.

Could you explain more of what you're trying to do?

Shane