[ZODB-Dev] Is there an official patch for the problems with packing and data loss?

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Wed May 14 09:09:50 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 7:34 pm, Joachim Werner wrote:

> People really get scared about ZODB ... - I for myself don't
> trust it any more :-(

You _may_ want to have a look at DirectoryStorage. One of its design goals was
to mitigate these fears. If DirectoryStorage should have a bug like this
recent one in FileStorage then it wouldnt be so serious, because this type of
packing damage can be recovered (without needing a backup) provided it is
discovered within some user-defined safety period; 10 days by default.

Implementation simplicity is also a goal for DirectoryStorage. It uses the
same back pointers involved in the recent FileStorage fix.... FileStorage
uses its back pointers for two purposes; tracking undoability and to save
space by sharing pickles between undone transactions. DirectoryStorage doesnt
try to share pickles. It burns though disk space if you use alot of undos,
but reduces the chance of data loss through this type of bug.

I dont want to oversell DirectoryStorage. Before this round of FileStorage
changes, DirectoryStorage probably had more bugs than FileStorage. I do hope
the bugs in DirectoryStorage have a less serious impact.

--
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson