[ZODB-Dev] Is there an official patch for the problems with packing and data loss?

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Wed May 14 15:14:25 EDT 2003

[Chris Withers]
> Hmmm, I'm not debating the bugs have been there for a long time,
> but how come we've suddenly had a glut of people enbountering them in
> normal operation when they didn't before Zope 2.6.1?

If only you were one of them, you might help to answer that <wink>.

My first boss at Cray Research, in the early 70's, dubbed the phenomenon
"the simultaneous worldwide discovery of a pre-existing bug".  I was working
on compiler development then, but the phenomenon has been the same in every
field I've worked in.  Sometimes a cause was actually found, like disperse
users sharing a particular piece of new code; most times it just got written
off to that arrival times in a Poisson distribution eventually do bunch up
"for no good reason at all", i.e. coincidence.  I don't know what's at work
here, and more interested in repairing the problems.