[ZODB-Dev] Re: ZEO from ZODB-3.1.3 errors on Windows

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Sun Sep 7 12:32:28 EDT 2003

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> The solution is to install all of ZODB 3.1.3 into your Zope directory.
> This will replace ZODB, BTrees, etc.  You'll basically get all the bug
> fixes you'd get from 2.6.2, if it ever gets out of beta :-).

Which raises an interesting niggle or two: ZODB needs compiling, so I can't just
copy the directories to the right place.

Does setup.py let you specify where to install things?

I can think of different issues with each of the operating systems I use here:

1. Linux

If I do:

[\var\ZODB3-3.1.3\]$ python2.1 setup.py

...then it'll get installed as a global library, which is no bad thing.
However, will the old versions foundin Zope's lib\python override these new
versions?

2. Windows

Now, what I'd like to do is:

E:\ZODB3-3.1.3\> \Zope\2.6.1NZ\bin\python setup.py

...but Zope doesn't ship with a source install of python, so Python.h can't be
found by MSVC++.

So, what I've just done is use the binary download to install to one of my
system pythons (C:\Python21) and I'm now going to delete the following from
E:\Zope\2.6.1NZ\lib\python and replace with the ones from C:\Python21\lib:

BDBStorage\
BTrees\
Persistence\
ThreadedAsync\
ZEO\
zLOG\
ZODB\
ZopeUndo\
Acquisition.pyd
ComputedAttribute.pyd
ExtensionClass.pyd
MethodObject.pyd
Missing.pyd
MultiMapping.pyd
Record.pyd
Sync.pyd
ThreadLock.pyd

Now, that appears to have solved the problem.
Is there anything 'bad' you can think of associated with doing this?

cheers,

Chris