[ZODB-Dev] question

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Sep 10 11:01:11 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 08:32, Gabriella Codes wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to zope and python, so please excuse my stupid qsts :-)
>
> 1) I am using python 2.3. If i install zodb3-3.2b2.win32-py2.2.exe, will
> this work? Or shall i revert back to the previous version of python?

On Window, you will need to match the binary installer to the Python
version.  If you have a compiler, you can download the source release
and build it yourself.  For the next release, I expect someone will
provide a Windows installer for Python 2.3.

> 2) How can i have fine grained control over what objects are persisted? I
> saw that one can specify the beginning and end of a transaction, and commit,
> but what if one does not want to save ALL the objects that have been
> modified, only select ones?

ZODB does not provide programmer control over what objects are saved.
The transaction API is the only intended way to propagate changes to
other clients and to make them persistent.  The goal is to free
programmers from details like what and when to save, because those
details are hard to get right.

Do you have a specific concern?  If you explain what your goal is, we
might be able to offer some design hints on how to achieve it in a
transactional framework.

Jeremy