[ZODB-Dev] future of nested transactions

Edward Moy emoy at apple.com
Mon Apr 19 12:15:29 EDT 2004

On Apr 18, 2004, at 7:02 PM, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 21:00, emoy at apple.com wrote:
>> I recent sent a message out about ZODB4 and savepoints, not knowing
>> until now that ZODB4 has been halted indefinitely.  Since I need
>> support for multiple nested transactions, does anyone know what the
>> immediate plans are for this in ZODB3, if there are any.
>>
>> ReviseTransactionAPI seems to indicate that a new transaction API is
>> not necessary for 3.3.  But I need something fairly soon, or else I
>> may
>> have to look elsewhere for an appropriate solution.
>
> It will probably take some volunteer time to get savepoints integrated
> into ZODB 3.3.  It should be pretty straightforward, in principle,
> because the code just needs to be adapted from ZODB 4.  In practice,
> the
> ZODB 3 and ZODB 4 internals are different enough that it's a
> non-trivial
> effort to integrate the code, write new tests, and make sure existing
> tests don't break.
>
> Several people have expressed an interest in seeing the savepoints get
> into 3.3 -- and they would really simplify the implementation and the
> user-visible interface.  Perhaps the interested parties could all pitch
> in.

OK, I'm willing, if it doesn't take too long.  My first question is,
how best do I come up to speed on the internals to be able to do this?
Then given my first posting to this list, what changes are needed to
fix the arguably broken behavior of ZODB4's savepoints so that 3.3 will
work more intuitively?
Edward Moy
Apple

(This message is from me as a reader of this list, and not a statement
from Apple.)