[ZODB-Dev] future of nested transactions

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Sun Apr 18 22:02:29 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 21:00, emoy at apple.com wrote:
> I recent sent a message out about ZODB4 and savepoints, not knowing
> until now that ZODB4 has been halted indefinitely.  Since I need
> support for multiple nested transactions, does anyone know what the
> immediate plans are for this in ZODB3, if there are any.
>
> ReviseTransactionAPI seems to indicate that a new transaction API is
> not necessary for 3.3.  But I need something fairly soon, or else I may
> have to look elsewhere for an appropriate solution.

It will probably take some volunteer time to get savepoints integrated
into ZODB 3.3.  It should be pretty straightforward, in principle,
because the code just needs to be adapted from ZODB 4.  In practice, the
ZODB 3 and ZODB 4 internals are different enough that it's a non-trivial
effort to integrate the code, write new tests, and make sure existing
tests don't break.

Several people have expressed an interest in seeing the savepoints get
into 3.3 -- and they would really simplify the implementation and the
user-visible interface.  Perhaps the interested parties could all pitch
in.

Jeremy