[ZODB-Dev] Re: Python module namespace pollution

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Apr 19 17:21:02 EDT 2004

John Belmonte wrote:
> I noticed that 3.3a3 has added another generically-named module to the
> top level namespace.  Shouldn't the following really be under ZODB?
>
>     persistent
>     transaction
>     Persistence
>
> Before a stable release is made and it's too late, I think that
> "persistent" and "transaction" should be moved to the ZODB package.

The "transaction" package is indepenent of ZODB. The persistent package
wants to be.

We are contemplating using a package named "z" as a container package for
packages developed as part of the Zope project. (If your're curious about
why, see: http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/RenameTheZopePackage.)

How would y'all feel about:

   z.odb
   z.transaction
   z.persistent

with ZODB temporarily remaining as an alias for z.zodb and Persistence
remaining for backward compatability, as you suggest.  We would
deprecate both of these packages.

Jim