[ZODB-Dev] Re: Subversion repository layout

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Apr 27 02:22:04 EDT 2004

Jim,

> The standard subversion repository layout is by project:

When I came to subversion over a year ago, they said that either way was
okay with the convention. Also, "standard" is not necessarily what the
book says. For Kupu we use the same layout you suggested, with the
variation of having a top-level trunk dir.

> I suggest, instead to use the following layout:

> With this layout, when you want to checkout the main development
> branch (aka head) of ZODB, you do:
>
>   svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/ZODB
>
> which seems cleaner and less error prone.

+1

> The only disadvantage I see in this layout is that we couldn't have
> projects named "tags" or "branches", but I could live with that.
> Alternatively, we could have a top-level trunk directory:

Yes, I would like that. The reason is very simple. If we are going to
differ from the "standard" layout (I still think that that's not the
case), then we should at least provide the same names and hierarchical
entities: trunk, tags, branches.

A note on branches and tags:

Since they are directories in Subversion and live in different
namespaces so to speak, we will not have to rely on ugly naming
conventions anymore. Branches won't need the "-branch" suffix anymore,
since they're already in the branches/ directory. Tags won't have to be
all uppercase either, and tags for releases can look quite normally,
such as "Zope-3.0.1" instead of "ZOPE_3_0_1".

Philipp