[ZODB-Dev] Re: Subversion repository layout

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Tue Apr 27 11:36:25 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> The standard subversion repository layout is by project:
>
>   proj1
>        /trunk
>        /branches
>                 /br1
>                 /br2
>        /tags
>             /tag1
>             /tag2
>
>   proj2
>        /trunk
>        /branches
>                 /br1
>                 /br2
>        /tags
>             /tag1
>             /tag2

> With this layout, when you want to checkout the main development
> branch (aka head) of ZODB, you do:
>
>   svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/ZODB/trunk ZODB
>
> That is, you need to include "/trunk" at the end and provide "ZODB"
> as the name of the output directory so as not to get a directory named
> "trunk".  If you forget the "/trunk", you'll get a checkout that
> includes copies of all of the various tags and branches, which could be
> huge.

+1 to following the "standard" layout (as Jim and I have discussed
face-to-face):

   - "Explicit is better than implicit."  It is *not* a "dead chicken"
     to specify the trunk if that is what you want.

   -  Following the "currently-accepted best practice" proposed by the
      SVN folks may have issues (I don't understand why anyone would
      *ever* want to check out more than one branch at the same time[*]).
      Nevertheless, I think we lose if we buck the tide.

If we could get SVN to puke for checkouts which didn't specify a branch
or tag (including the trunk), that would be even better.

Tres.

[*] I will note that my Zope and CMF sandbox trees both have a structure
like:

   Zope-CVS/
     Zope-head/
     Zope-2.6-branch/
     Zope-2.7-branch

   CMF-CVS/
     CMF-head/
     CMF-1.3-branch/
     CMF-1.4-branch/

So the idea of having a multi-branch "sandbox tree" is not repellent;  I
just don't expect CVS / SVN to give me such a tree *by default*.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com