[ZODB-Dev] how to manage users in zodb standalone database (newbee)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Feb 24 15:43:01 EST 2004

Martin Dupond wrote at 2004-2-23 18:10 +0000:
>I would like to manage users in a zodb database without using Zope.

What does "manage users" means for you?

>It
>seems to me I have to use ZEO  and ServerStorage.

This is not the case -- at least for a usual understanding of
"manage users".

>Is there any component or solution  which can provide good security?

What is "good security" for you?

When you do not use ZEO, the application must read the ZODB storage.
In principle, it can then read its content. Other appliciations
that run as the same user, too, can read the storage.

When you use ZEO, you can put the actual data in a secure place (different
user with restricted rights, different computer).
But the application must be able to access ZEO. It must know appropriate
login information. Once it did a login, it can in principle read
the complete ZODB.
The same holds true for user management in a relational database.

There is no complete security.

--
Dieter