[ZODB-Dev] Our sad experience with filestorage

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Fri Jan 16 03:43:29 EST 2004

> Maybe Dirstorage can be better?

> 1. packing will cause PoskeyError!
> Sometimes we found we should use a non-zero day parameter to avoid this
> and sometimes we should use 0 day when pack.

I designed DirectoryStorage to soothe my nervousness in this area. If there is
any area where DirectoryStorage is ahead, this is it.

> 2. size of ZODB will double when add some documents.
> the zodb jumped to about 3G when we added some document today

FileStorage makes lean use of disk space; I cant imagine any storage being
smaller. DirectoryStorage use space typically 30% greater than Data.fs.

It jumped by about 1.5G, but you dont say what size of documents you added.
Most likely this is caused by a characteristic of your application. You need
to look at your storage to see what objects are taking space, and why.
FileStorage has fsdump to dump the whole file, and several other third party
tools. DirectoryStorage has find, ls, and dumpdsf to decode a single record.

Or maybe you saw disk usage double because you packed.... FileStorage keeps a
Data.fs.old as a backup copy of Data.fs before packing. You can safely delete
it, if you dont need the backup.

> Note: we patched zope bad_id to make zope object id support Chinese
> Character. Is this the reason that Filestorage works wrong?

no

--
Toby Dickenson