[ZODB-Dev] ZODB 3.3 beta 1 released

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Mon Jun 7 21:44:45 EDT 2004

[John Belmonte]
> Am I correct that the following items, which were previously in the
> install scripts list, have been removed?
>
>    zdctl.py
>    zdrun.py

No, they're still in setup.py's scripts list.  I didn't change anything
here.  However, as NEWS said, this is the first release to get packaged with
zpkgtools, and I think ZODB's setup.py may be irrelevant to what gets
installed now.  I'm copying Fred Drake, as he will understand this better
than I do.

Note that the two scripts you named here aren't really part of ZODB, they
come from the distinct zdaemon package.  Whether they've fallen out of favor
in the zdaemon world is something I don't know, but, regardless, I believe
ZODB's installation of zdaemon components now inherits zdaemon's beliefs
about how it should be installed.  That's part of the purpose of moving to
zpkg (consistent installation of shared packages across higher-level
releases).

> For POSIX people this means the commands have vanished from /usr/bin/.
> Given the concern in <http://collector.zope.org/Zope/1312> about
> compatibility, this seems strange.  The change breaks the daemon scripts
> of my own application.

Life is indeed full of ironies.