[ZODB-Dev] Includes patch: [johan@gnome.org: zodb3 trunk patch]

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Mon Nov 8 15:12:55 EST 2004

For the record, it was jdahlin at async.com.br, though I added an alias today.

> [Christian Robottom Reis]
> >     We're working on some IndexedCatalog changes, and apparently a
> > header we need is not being installed. Tim, can you take a look and
> > commit this if it makes sense to you (and let me know if not)?
>
> OK, I really need details about exactly what you did here.

Well, we just wanted ring.h to be installed in the Right Place.

> My best guess:  you weren't using an official release, instead you were
> running "setup.py install" from the root of a private ZODB checkout, instead
> of from an official release tarball.  In the former case, none of the zpkg
> machinery gets involved (AFAIK), and then it would make sense that
> cPersistence.h but not ring.h got installed.  Is that what you did?

Precisely. We work from SVN trunk, everywhere else is too boring <wink>.

> I'm not sure it's a good thing that the code to build releases no longer has
> any connection to the code used for day-to-day development, but that's the
> way it is for now.

I had no idea this was the case. Basically, you want to ensure that
headers are installed with both SVN trunk checkouts and the tarball
releases; otherwise people writing extensions have a hard time getting
their software compiled on developer installations.

It's indeed a shame that both systems diverge; I wonder if it is a
fixable problem.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331