[ZODB-Dev] Includes patch: [johan@gnome.org: zodb3 trunk patch]

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Fri Nov 5 14:33:37 EST 2004

[removed johan at async.com.br from cc:, since that address bounced last
 time]

[Christian Robottom Reis]
>     We're working on some IndexedCatalog changes, and apparently a
> header we need is not being installed. Tim, can you take a look and
> commit this if it makes sense to you (and let me know if not)?

OK, I really need details about exactly what you did here.

Fred & I stared at this today.  The ZODB 3.3 final tarball doesn't actually
install *any* .h files (neither cPersistence.h nor ring.h).  That turned out
to be a bug in zpkg, which Fred fixed today.  ZODB's zpkg setup files always
intended to install both.

So I'm left with no clue about how you managed to see 3.3 installing
cPersistence.h but not ring.h.

In any case, Fred confirmed that I was right that patching setup.py in 3.3
doesn't have any effect on what's in a ZODB release.

My best guess:  you weren't using an official release, instead you were
running "setup.py install" from the root of a private ZODB checkout, instead
of from an official release tarball.  In the former case, none of the zpkg
machinery gets involved (AFAIK), and then it would make sense that
cPersistence.h but not ring.h got installed.  Is that what you did?

I'm not sure it's a good thing that the code to build releases no longer has
any connection to the code used for day-to-day development, but that's the
way it is for now.