[ZODB-Dev] Ordering before commit hooks

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Fri Aug 5 14:44:49 EDT 2005

On Aug 5, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Tim Peters wrote:

> [Julien Anguenot]
>
>>> The order argument could be an integer with a default value to 0
>>> added
>>> to the registration method.
>>>

> [Gary Poster]
>
>> I usually like the word 'priority' for this sort of value, rather
>> than
>> 'order'.  To me 'order' implies unique value--i.e., with 'order' I am
>> mildly surprised to learn that two entries may have  the same
>> order.  I
>> am not surprised that two entries may share a priority.
>>

> It's wholly unclear to me, given a callback with associated value 0
> and
> another with associated value 9999999, which one is supposed to be
> invoked
> first.  If the parameter is called "priority", then I'd expect
> "win"; if it's called "order", then 0.

To each his own, I suppose--'first priority' and 'last priority' is
my model, in which, at the least, a priority of 1 would be first
priority and a priority of 9999999 is a reasonable last priority
(acknowledging a positive infinity as something that would take the
honor of being reliably last priority, then).  A priority of 0, and a
negative priority, start to muddle the model a bit, certainly.

But anyway, if you don't see 'priority' in that way, then yes, it is
perhaps unclear in a different dimension than 'order' is unclear. :-)

Gary