[ZODB-Dev] POSKeyError with Zope 2.7.2, suddenly appeared, thendisappeared...

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Feb 9 16:05:48 EST 2005

Tim Peters wrote at 2005-2-7 15:46 -0500:
>I can't agree that info level was inappropriate here, at least not without a
>lot more thought than I can give to it now.  A problem with ZEO is that
>people normally want a way to tell that ZEO is still _alive_ in info-level
>logs.  Logging info about transaction-lock activity is one natural way to do
>that (if you're doing transactions over ZEO, but not seeing those msgs, you
>can deduce that ZEO is dead or deadlocked or something; and looking then at
>the last lock activity logged can be a good clue about how things got
>hosed).

I changed this (in our private copy) and now
explicitly log when a transaction needs to wait for the
transaction lock (and what (user and description) is holding
this lock) and when it is restarted.

In my view, this is much more useful information to analyse
deadlocks (which we had recently) than a "released storage lock"
without any additional information.

Moreover, the log file is not cluttered with irrelevant messages.

>In any case, it doesn't make much sense to be _concerned_ about a message
>that logs itself at info level.  If the code thought it was a bug condition,
>it would have logged it at warn/problem, error, or fatal/critical level.

At least it is inconsistent to log the release but not the acquire.
I think, we can live without both of them...

--
Dieter