[ZODB-Dev] how big can a ZODB get?

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Wed Jan 12 13:44:45 EST 2005

[Victor Ng]
> Thanks for the info Jim, where can I find information on ZODB tuning? I'm
> running ZODB 3.3 right now and I'm not sure where to start looking for
> the 'knobs' I need to turn.

As Jeremy implied, app and object design is much more important than
"knobs".  There really aren't many performance-related settings in ZODB or
ZEO.  The ZODB and ZEO cache sizes are probably the most important, and
possibly all apps would benefit from larger-than-default cache values.
(Note that the ZEO client cache-size knob is broken in ZODB 3.3; it's fixed
in ZODB 3.3.1a1, released earlier this week.)

All the knobs that exist can be found by looking inside the component.xml
files in your ZODB release.  Apart from cache sizes, I'm not sure any make
much difference to performance, except a ZEO server's
invalidation-queue-size, which can make a big difference if your ZEO clients
use persistent ZEO caches and bounce up and down quickly for some reason.
The latter "explanation" hints at how obscure some of these knobs are.