[ZODB-Dev] Reloading product in 2.8

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:22:12 EDT 2005

On 7/12/05, Jens Vagelpohl <jens at dataflake.org> wrote:

> >> If it creates problems then simply don't use it.
> >>

> > That's not a very good answer.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Due to the nastiness Refresh has to perform under the cover even
> Shane has to admit that it simply is not some "make development
> faster" panacea. The only viable answer is "stop using if it gives
> you trouble" because it is probably impossible to make it work in
> 100% of all cases.

No, that's still not a viable answer, because it should be possible to
make some kind of list of cases where it is expected not to work, so
that you can try to see if this is one of the cases. The above answer
however basically means "well, if it happens to work for you, then
good luck, but it is actually a piece of unsupported crap that hasn't
worked for years and that nobody is bothered to fix bugs in".

Imagine if somebody tried to use ZPTs, and the answer to any question
where you get errors from it is "well, then don't use it?" It's just
not a viable answer.

If it is the majoritys agreement that this answer is the best one, and
that the refresh functionality should be looked at as something that
may or may not work purely on luck, then I'll mark it as deprecated
and up for removal in 2.10.

Maybe we can start looking at the last non-integrated version of the
software, because it worked much better, and again make it a
standalone product?